Monday, March 07, 2005

The Martha Stewart Crochet Poncho Pattern

I've noticed that a lot of people are finding this blog the last few days by searching for the words "Martha Stewart Crochet Poncho". Personally, I didn't think it was anything special, but for what it's worth here is what I could figure out from the pictures I saw:
Pick some yarn. Pick a hook to fit that yarn. (I think Martha's poncho is either some kind of varigated chenile or maybe Lion Brand Homespun or something of that weight.) Do your favorite open pattern to make a rectangle about 15 or 20x50 or 60 inches. (I like chain 15 inches (I'm short) then two double crochet, chain two or three, and starting with the third or fourth loop out, do two or three more double crochet..continue like that to the end, then turn and repeat so that the double crochets end up on top of the gaps from the previous row. Keep going till it's 50 or 60 inches long.) Fold it in half and seam up the side leaving a hole for your head.
Add your favorite scallop type edging.
Easy Scallop Edging
1 single crochet, 1 double, 2 triple, 1 double, 1 single all the way around the bottom edge of the poncho. If you like you can then chain stitch around again to give it a nice finish or maybe put some little loops on the edge by chaining three then skip two loops and single crochet into the third loop all the way around again. Of course whether this works out or not depends on how many stitches you have and you'll need to do some math there or get a little creative on your own, but I'm sure you can handle it.
EDIT: Here is another approach suggested in the comments. If you want to make the poncho from the neck down you can chain and join to make a ring for your head then just use the same granny square type technique out from there and add scalloped edging at the bottom. I think this would turn out too rounded and the neck would be too flat. In some of the pics the poncho bunched up at the neck and it looked almost like Martha's poncho was turtle-necked, which is why I felt that the giant rectangle folded over would be the way to go. The giant rectangle folded often will bunch and drape at the neck like that. It's YOUR poncho so make it how you want it. You don't need no stinkin' pattern. Really. :)
Click here to see a swatch. This swatch is all you're getting out of me. I don't want a poncho so I'm not making one for myself. Have fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post your finished poncho.
Enlarged to see details. Thanks !

Elabeth said...

I'm not making one. That swatch is all you'll get out of me. I suggest you either jump in and make your own or wait for the Lionbrand pattern.