Thursday, July 28, 2005

Knitting & Spinning In Public

Yesterday I took the Babe wheel with me and met Miranda at Sweet Bay early for SNB. She's going to borrow it for a while to play with. I figured we'd probably get some stares and more than the usual "what the heck are you doing?" type questions from people. We spent about two hours plying some of her yarn, then me spinning some and showing her how to do navajo plying with it, then her running some yarn she'd spun on her drop spindle through the wheel to practice treadling and to put some more twist into the yarn so it wouldn't try to fall apart on her when she plied it. There were only one or two people asking questions, but I'm told there were a lot of double takes and curious looks through the doors into the room we were in. The door was behind me so I don't know. I think I might bring my other wheel every once in a while and spin there some more.
I spent pretty much my entire day yesterday knitting and spinning in public. I had to go for my yearly girly checkup and it took THREE HOURS to get in to see the doctor. ugh. I knit almost half of the second pink sock and the first sassy stripes sock I'm making for my Mom is ready to bind off now. Waiting rooms are hellish, but at least it wasn't 110 degrees and I wasn't sweaty. haha
I think I'm going to start a secret project tonight. I have pictures of the sassy stripes sock and of my progress on the entrelac stole that I can show you this weekend, but if I'm going to finish this secret project by it's deadline then I'm going to have to not knit on anything else until it's finished. I don't know if I can do that. If I can't then the intended recipient may get an IOU or a target gift card instead depending on how much progress I'm able to make in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck.
 
Update on the MIL situation: She's still doing ok. They say she should be out of the hospital in 6-8 weeks and by that time we hope to have things set up so she can be released directly to the retirement home. We've found a buyer for their house and closing is set for about three weeks from now. The buyer is an investor who plans on flipping the house and there isnt a big time crunch for how fast we get everything out of the place as long as it's within a reasonable period after the closing. That means we can get the Dad all moved and set up in the retirement home, then have our big estate sale and clear everything out right about the time Mom gets released from the hospital. Hopefully old people logistics hell will end around mid-September and I'll get my husband back. yay!

No comments: