Saturday, April 26, 2008

More Loom Stuff

I ordered the following things from Yarn Barn in Kansas. They're SUPER NICE. Jim took my order and even speculated with me about how old my loom is. (We think it was probably built in 1971, so it's one year older than me.)

- A set of 6 treadle hooks
- A set of 12 treadle cords
- A set of 2 upper roller cords
- A set of 4 lower roller cords
- 2 45" aprons
- 4 45" steel rods
- 1,000 inserted eye headles
- A 45" 12dpi stainless steel reed
- 2 beater bumpers
- 1 boat shuttle (I already have one at home)
- 1 dozen plastic bobbins

All that was about $500. I might also get a "Shed Regulator" attachment for it later on, but those are over $200 so I'm going to see how I get along without it.
I also got a Louet bobbin winder for the store because I figured if I get good enough at this I'll teach beginner classes and we'll need that thing. I've got the warping board on the back of my Kromski Harp rigid headle loom, so I figure I'm pretty much set up now. I just need to plan out a project.
I was reading about using handpainted yarns as warp, and that sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking about pre-winding a warp with some wool yarn and hand painting it myself, or I have some black and purple alpaca at home that I dyed at yarn school which would make good weft. Maybe I'll try that. It would look pretty cool in a point twill pattern with a hot pink warp.
Oh, and I also found Weavezine. It's kind of like Knitty, but for weavers! I'm hoping they'll have a lot of good beginner info in the issues to come. I'm not a weavecast listener, but it's the same girl behind it if you're familiar with that.

No comments: