Friday, March 03, 2006

So last night I finally met the "lady who is opening a yarn store" here. Sadly, she has had to give up the dream and won't be opening a store after all. Oh well. Her name is Mary, and I already have secret plans to drag her with me to the Winslow spinning group in a couple of weeks or make her drag me there if she's already going. She spins. That makes three people (including me) I know here in town who spin. I wish I'd thought to get her phone number or email or something so that I could more effectively bother her.
We were talking about how there are three very different knitting groups meeting around town. One Mary goes to meets Tuesdays at the local Hobby Lobby and pays $5 each to the teacher there. It seems like more of a come get help with your projects kind of thing to me, but she says its really social. I'd go, but I don't want to give that lady $5 for the pleasure. I don't think she has all that much she could teach me that I couldn't pick up here on the internet for free. Another group meets on Monday mornings at the Cancer Support House to knit chemo caps and things. They're mostly older and retired etc. I don't know how much overlap there is between the two groups, but I do know none of those people come to Stitch N Bitch on Thursdays with us younger, more potty mouthed people. It would be really cool to get everyone together somewhere sometime. If I had all the crap cleared out of the patio room and we didn't have the world's stinkiest 17 year old dog living in there I'd have enough room to have a party.
Tomorrow I'll be in Tulsa picking up my used 7ft triangle loom. I've already got three projects planned using yarn already in my stash, so this should help cut down on the volume of yarn in the yarn room if the weaving goes as quickly as people say it does. I've been kind of sad looking at pictures on google. Some of the color combinations people are weaving make my eyes hurt. A lot of scary plaidness is going on out there, and I don't want to contribute to that so I'm picking my yarns carefully except for my big test run thing. It's going to be this really awful acrylic nightmare extravaganza. I don't want to waste the good stuff while I'm just learning do I?

No comments: